Key Points
  • The number of international jobs in South Africa increased by 23%, from 21,700 in 2014 to 26,700 in 2015. The Western Cape accounted for 87% of the growth, with the remaining 13% shared between KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng
  • Captive centres account for 64.1% of the total BPM market in South Africa, with outsourcers at 35.9%. At a provincial level, Gauteng is dominated by captive centres at 68.7%. In KwaZulu-Natal, 57% of the market is outsourced. In the Western Cape the outsourced market has experienced a 4.2% increase, from 50% in 2014 to 54.2% in 2015
  • From a vertical perspective, the financial services sector accounts for 50% of the total market. Among international outsourcers, 53.3% of business is telecoms related while retail accounts for 11.9% and IT for 9.3%. In the Western Cape, telecoms contributes 42% of all international business, a 4.7% increase from 2014
  • The UK market is responsible for 59.9% of offshore business in South Africa, with Australia the next largest market at 22.4%. UK investment accounts for 62% of business in the Western Cape, a 1.3% shift from 2014, followed by the US at 12.9%, up by 1.4% in 2015 and Australia at 10.8%, a 1.4% increase over the same period
  • 90.9% of all international business is conducted in English, followed by German which accounts for 4.1% of interactions



Business Process Management in South Africa continues to grow from strength to strength. As a location, South Africa offers a strong value proposition and delivers a range of simple to complex processes for both large international and local organisations, including customer interaction services, legal services, finance and accounting services as well as human resources. The South African Business Process Management Key Indicator Report 2015, compiled by BPESA, provides a detailed analysis of the sector and the operations it is made up of. Significant developments made in terms of job creation, skills development, the geographic landscape as well as overall industry growth and maturity is also covered.




Follow us on:
Stay Updated